Our barn is still progressing along, I’m just not keeping up in pictures! There is still a lot of planning overhead that’s taking up our evenings and weekends. Here is a view of it out one of our upstairs windows. The loft windows and big slider door were taking shape here.

FromWIndow

All of the doors and windows are framed and installed; other than the garage doors aren’t in yet- just framed.Doors

The windows on this side of the building will just look out onto a grass slope. So we made them rather high, to bring in light, but be out of the way of shelving units and work spaces.

HighWindows

Thankfully no more roof work is called for in these frosty times.

frostyRoof

Thirty-two windows in all.

Windows

The design called for the front, back and a wall down the middle to be double-sided with chipboard for sheer strength.

Sheerwall

We went ahead and insulated inside of those now, because, of course, it’s now or never (or at least it would be a real pain later). The middle wall we did with stick-frame framing instead of the regular pole barn girts. This enabled us to more easily include a pocket door at the staircase landing that falls between the two sides, and gives us something to which we can attach a bathroom ceiling.

Centerwall

We have a “double-down” staircase, meaning there is one long run that ends at this landing, then there are two short staircases going down from here, one to each side of the barn. The “his and hers” sides. Winking smileA pocket door made it so the landing didn’t need to be big enough accommodate the swing of a regular door.

Landing

The engineer came and did his inspection, and measured the sheer strength of the end walls (somehow, we weren’t here to see how it was done) and ok’ed the building. And the county inspector signed off on the sheer walls as well.

They have started putting up the metal siding, but I haven’t had daylight to photograph that yet. It is exciting to see the red barn look take shape- now it’s starting to look real. And close to done.

We chose to bail on doing the stone veneer exterior wainscoting for several reasons. One, it was really expensive, and we’re finding that bringing in electrical service is going to cost more than we’d hoped, so we’d rather spend our money there and stick to our budget. And we just didn’t want to do the work, we have so much else to do. The final signoff would be hung up while we dilly-dallied with trying to do masonry work in the frozenness and/or rainyness of January. We just want that closure of final signoff, the building being done, everybody ‘outta here and life back to normal so we can start using the barn (our building inspector is really nice, but we might test his limits if he had to crawl over several tons of hay or through farm implements to complete his inspections!). And, the stone just seemed too frivolous. So we are going with all red metal siding and white trim- the classic red barn look. So of course an updated visualization was in order to magnet onto the refrigerator. A drawing soon to be replaced by looking out the window and seeing the real thing.

RedBarn

There isn’t much left: some plumbing (and that’s another story), the concrete floor, the rest of the metal siding, and the big doors. So maybe just a few more weeks, we’re hoping. There were a few unexpected delays, the weather, the county, and other similar acts of God that have slid the schedule by a few weeks. Winking smileIt’s challenging to make these kinds of projects line up exactly, to manage the critical path, coordinate all the players, and also, oh yeah, work regular jobs that pay for the barn. But it all gets done anyway. Come lambing time, this is going to be a luxury. I can’t wait!

Advertisements